So, you’ve decided to start a home-based business. Congratulations!
Welcome to the fast-paced world of entrepreneurship.
While there is a lot to learn, your efforts will be worth it.
The thrill of growing your business, the freedom and flexibility
to set your own hours, and the possibilities of ever-increasing
financial rewards are all wonderful reasons to start your
Now that you’ve decided to start your business, you might be wondering,
“How can I get it off to the strongest possible start?”
These eight tips will help:
1) Set up a separate working space in your home. It doesn’t matter if this is a small bedroom, one part of the garage, or a corner of the living room. The important thing
is to have some space that you can designate as your working area. This will give you
the space and room you need to craft your dream.
2) Stock your working space with materials. This sounds basic, perhaps, but one underlying element of success is that you have easy access to the tools, materials, and other resources you need. Gathering everything close by also keeps you from wasting time searching for it, so this step can be considered a time management strategy, too.
3) Speaking of time management, your third step is to define the parameters of your business. What days and hours will you work? When will you market? When will you
provide services or products to clients? How will you keep all of this straight?
4) Balance action with planning. One of the most common pitfalls to successful entrepreneurship is getting too caught up in action without enough planning.
Stated another way, this means that you confuse “being busy” with “working
on important projects.” The best approach is to plan your next couple of goals
and then work backwards to create step-by-step action plans to reach them.
Once you have the plan, then it’s time to take the action.
5) Network like crazy. One of the fastest ways to grow any business is to make connections with other people. Be sure to share your passion and enthusiasm with others at every opportunity. Let people know who you are and what you offer. Remember, people can’t buy if they don’t know you’re selling. Set up a Twitter account; create a Facebook account for both personal updates AND one for your business. This business page is called a fan page. If you offer professional services, set up a profile on LinkedIn right away so clients and customers can find you.
6) Present a professional image. If you want to be treated professionally, present a professional image. Set up a separate bank account for your business. Install a separate phone and fax line. Create professional marketing materials. Be courteous and pleasant in all of your customer-facing interactions. Basically, be someone people want to do business with.
7) Automate your business as much as possible. Granted, you are just one person (right now) and might have a lot of extra time to take care of all the details. This might work for now, but won’t work into the future as you get busier and busier. It’s best to set up automatic systems and processes right from the start to free up your time to concentrate on the most profitable activities.
8) Outsource what you do not like to do or do not know how to do. Hire a Virtual Assistant to help you with office type tasks and hire a ghost writer if you need help with content for your articles and blog posts, etc. Your Virtual Assistant can then set up sites for you to submit them to and even proofread them before they are submitted AND submit them for you!
These eight tips will get your home business started (and growing) in the right direction.
Why not Schedule a Project now?